Dental implants are designed to provide a foundation for replacement teeth that look, feel, and function like natural teeth. Gaps are permanently eliminated as the implant provides a comfortable and natural fit. Implant dentistry allows patients the ability to smile and chew with confidence. The implants themselves are tiny titanium posts which are surgically placed into the jawbone to fill the gaps where teeth are missing. The bone and titanium create a strong foundation for artificial teeth. If you live in Mountain View, Sunnyvale, or the Palo Alto areas and are interested in replacing missing teeth with dental implants, our implant dentistry expert can help. Dr. J. Brent Gorrell has extensive experience placing dental implants.
Who is a Good Candidate for Dental Implants?
Dental implants can replace:
- A single tooth – if you are missing a single tooth, an implant and crown can replace it. The implant replaces the natural tooth and root. Single teeth that were lost naturally or through tooth extraction can be replaced with dental implants.
- Several teeth – Implant-supported bridges can replace several missing teeth. Implants will replace your missing teeth and some of the roots.
- All of your teeth – If you are missing all of your teeth, an implant-supported bridge or denture can replace them. Dental implants will replace all your natural teeth and some of the roots.
Implant Dentistry – The Procedure
The placement of dental implants involves two surgical procedures. In the first phase, a small titanium post is precisely and gently anchored into the patient’s jawbone, recreating a natural tooth root. The implants are beneath the surface of the gums gradually bonding with the jawbone for three to six months after the surgery. Patients will be fitted with temporary dentures and eat a soft diet during this time, while Dr. J. Brent Gorrell designs the final crown, bridgework, or denture, which will ultimately improve both function and aesthetics.
In the second phase, the implants are revealed and another titanium piece, called an “abutment,” is attached to these posts. A porcelain crown, bridgework, or fixed denture is cemented to this abutment. Only this piece is visible, as the implant looks, feels, and functions as a natural tooth. While the procedure is lengthy, most patients do not experience any disruption in their daily life. See some dramatic smile makeovers at our Smile Gallery.
Implants can be used to support dentures, holding the prosthesis securely in place while eating, speaking, and during other oral activities while still allowing for easy self-removal for cleaning purposes.
The Advantages of Dental Implants
Implant dentistry is changing the way people live. Patients have rediscovered the comfort and confidence to eat, speak, laugh, and enjoy life.
- Implants create an attractive, natural-looking smile.
- Dental implants are comfortable and feel like natural teeth.
- No specialized care is required after the procedure. Oral hygiene for dental implants is the same as natural teeth; brushing, flossing, and periodic checkups.
- The dental implants are completely functional, restoring your ability to chew and talk comfortably.
- Patients don’t deal with the pain, discomfort, or restrictions of dentures or partials.
- Implants are also used to support dentures, holding the prosthesis securely in place while eating, speaking, and during other oral activities while still allowing for easy self-removal for cleaning purposes.
Contact our Mountain View office – serving Sunnyvale, Palo Alto, and northwest Santa Clara County – for more information about implant dentistry.
Are Dental Implants Right for Me?
The implant dentistry procedure has become one of the most common dental surgeries conducted. Several factors are used to determine whether dental implants are right for you. Prospective dental implant patients should:
- Be in good overall health.
- Have healthy gums.
- Have a strong enough bone structure to support the implant.
- Remain committed to oral hygiene.
Arrange a thorough oral examination with Dr. J. Brent Gorrell at his Mountain View Office – serving Sunnyvale, Palo Alto, and the Greater San Jose area. He will carefully examine your case and determine if dental implants are right for you.
Contact Our Implant Dentist – J. Brent Gorrell, D.D.S.
If, like many others, you feel implant dentistry is the choice for you, we ask that you undergo a dental/radiographic examination and health history. During these consultation visits, your specific needs and considerations will be addressed by either Dr. J. Brent Gorrell or by an oral and maxillofacial surgeon referred by our Mountain View practice – serving Sunnyvale, Palo Alto, and northwest Santa Clara County. Your questions and concerns are important to us and our team will work with you very closely to help make your dental implant procedure a success. You may also be interested in checking out our other cosmetic and general dentistry procedures. Dental bridges for instance, present another possible solution for missing teeth. Dr. Gorrell can help determine which treatment option is right for you. Contact our Mountain View, California office to arrange a consultation.
“I moved out of the area 20 years ago and happily drive 40 miles to still see Dr. Gorrell. Best dentist ever.” Kevin B.