Treatment for Overlapping Teeth
By J. Brent Gorrell on June 14, 2018
There are several types of misalignment issues that can detract from an otherwise beautiful and healthy smile. Overlapping teeth can cause patients to feel self-consciousness about their appearance.
If you cover your mouth when you smile or laugh, it may be time to consider how cosmetic dentistry treatments can improve your appearance and boost your confidence.
Today, our team at Gorrell Smiles in Mountain View, CA explores treatment for overlapping teeth and explains how our doctors can help you get the smile you have always desired.
Why Correct Overlapping Teeth?
Most patients seek corrective treatment because they are concerned about the aesthetics of their smile. However, overlapping teeth can also lead to problems affecting your bite function and oral health. In fact, teeth that are crowded or overlapped can:
- Have a negative impact on biting and chewing
- Make routine hygiene practices, such as brushing and flossing, more challenging
- Negatively affect speech patterns
- Have an unfavorable impact on your bite, causing wear and tear in certain areas
- Lead to TMJ disorder, including related symptoms of jaw pain, headaches, earaches, facial pain, and more
Cosmetic Dentistry Options for Overlapping Teeth
At Gorrell Smiles, we offer a variety of cosmetic treatments for the correction of overlapped teeth. Some of these include:
- Dental bonding: This process involves applying a tooth-colored composite resin material to the teeth in order to alter their size or shape. Bonding is appropriate for some minor cases of overlapping. With proper care, bonding lasts about three to five years on average.
- Porcelain veneers: Applying veneers to the front surfaces of overlapped teeth can conceal cosmetic flaws and make the teeth appear flush with one another. Generally, veneer treatment can be completed in two office visits. Like most restorations, they will need to be replaced at some point. On average, veneers last upwards of 10 to 15 years with proper care.
- Dental crowns: Like veneers, crowns can be used to conceal cosmetic imperfections. While a veneer covers only the front surface of a tooth, a crown covers the entire tooth structure. A crown can improve the appearance of the teeth and restore the bite.
Orthodontic Treatment for Overlapping Teeth
If overlapping is more complex or severe, then cosmetic treatments will not be enough to address the problem effectively. In these cases, orthodontic treatment is recommended.
- Invisalign®: One of the most popular alternatives to traditional metal braces, Invisalign straightens the teeth gradually using a sequence of clear aligner trays. Every two weeks, the current set of aligners will be switched out for a new one. The subtle differences will shift the teeth into their desired positions. Treatment times will vary for everyone, but most patients can achieve their goals in 18 to 24 months.
- Six Month Smiles®: As the name suggests, this treatment aims to correct overlapping and other forms of malocclusion in six months’ time. This system utilizes the same techniques as traditional braces. However, rather than stainless steel, Six Month Smiles uses tooth-colored components made from nickel titanium to move the teeth into their appropriate positions. Unlike other forms of orthodontic treatment, Six Month Smiles only focuses on correcting the appearance of the teeth visible when you smile.
Contact Us to Learn More
No matter what your cosmetic concerns, we can help you find a treatment that will effectively meet your goals while delivering optimal function and health. To learn more, contact us online or call us at (650) 399-9657.
Related to This
“I moved out of the area 20 years ago and happily drive 40 miles to still see Dr. Gorrell. Best dentist ever.” Kevin B.